Tuesday, May 14, 2013

May 14, 2013


What a beautiful day! Yesterday (my day off) was also a gem. On my motorcycle I mounted the Givi touring case, met with Adam about the saxophone, made three great landings on runway 14, chatted with Russell,  visited the dentist who performed my root canal, mowed the back yard, barbecued pork steaks, watched some of last Saturday’s NASCAR, and read some of Einstein’s biography.  All in all, Audrey and I had a very good Monday.

During the night I developed a curiosity about Matthew Henry. I had a desire to read about him on Wikipedia, and I do not know why this suddenly occurred to me. I will look him up. What I know is that he was a pastor in England in the 1600s who wrote a great commentary in devotional style covering most of scripture.  I was given a one volume edition of his commentary by my friend Greg when I graduated from college. I am curious about his church and his family.

Leviticus 24, and Matthew Henry’s commentary –light for the tabernacle, and 12 loaves of bread per week.

In my 1960 version of Matthew Henry’s Commentary in One Volume I read about his life and times in the forward. He died at 52 (1714) of apoplexy, which was a term used which could have been a stroke, a heart attack, an aneurism, etc. He pastored at Chester from 1687 – 1712 (a town in England near northeast Wales) and then was called to Hackney, near London which he accepted so that he would have greater access to libraries for his Biblical commentary. Through Wikipedia I discovered his writings beyond his commentary, including many sermons, plus a biography of his father, Philip Henry which seems interesting. This was good exercise to read about Matthew Henry.

Guide me today most holy Lord as I tend to the light and the bread of your presence in the generation to which you have sent me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment