Tuesday, July 16, 2013

July 16, 2013

Last night we had a gentle rain that replenished the yard and garden, fields and streams. It is a very nice morning out as I sit here on the deck enjoying coffee with a cat at my feet. An occasional humming bird visits the feeder. The blackberries are ripening by the hour, as I picked the first couple of quarts yesterday. Today I will lean into the work of pastoring as I lead our staff prayer time, our worship planning time, and supervise. I am almost caught up with email from my week on the road.

During the motorcycle trip I took through Kansas, Nebraska, Colorado, Wyoming and Idaho, I did not post any blogs. I hope to summarize that trip, with pictures and post it as a blog in the next couple of days. It is good to be back, and to have access to the internet and my laptop which is set up for blogging. 

Deuteronomy 11 – the blessings of obedience

Moses points out that the children of the Israelites did not see God’s powerful deliverance from Egypt, His destruction of their armies, nor His provision of manna in the wilderness (as did their parents, who would all die in the wilderness.) He instructs them to obey all of God’s commands, “Tie them to your hands and wear them on your forehead as reminders. Teach them to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are on the road, when you are going to bed and when you are getting up. Write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates… (11:18-20).

Moses warns his people: “Be careful. Don’t let your heart be deceived so that you turn away from the Lord and serve and worship other gods.” I just obtained a book entitled Gods at War – Defeating the idols that battle for your heart by Kyle Idleman. He groups these idols into three categories and names three gods (idols) in each category – The Temple of Pleasure – the gods of food, sex and entertainment. The Temple of Power – the gods of success, money and achievement. The Temple of Love – the gods of romance, family and me. I look forward to reading this book and perhaps using it for a series of messages in the fall or spring.


Guide me today, most holy Lord as I obey all your commands – loving you with all my heart, soul, mind and strength, and my neighbor as myself. Use me to bless those around me, and lead me as your undershepherd among your flock called Wesley United Methodist church as we develop more fruitful disciples of yours who worship, care and serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment