Thursday, July 4, 2013

July 4, 2013

This past Sunday I sat in the front row of the sanctuary instead of in the chancel area (due to the beautiful setup for the patriotic pageant including the choir and orchestra). During the offering, it occurred to me that an offering plate would soon be passed in front of me. I reached into my wallet to get some offering money, which I did. As I sat in that same pew at the 9:30 service, realizing I still had three worship services to attend, it occurred to me that my wallet was not prepared to respond to four separate offerings, and I have made a commitment not to let an offering plate go by without responding. I was in a dilemma.


Audrey and I have found the Electronic Funds Transfer of our tithe to be very helpful, as it ensures a regular giving of 1/10 of our income to the general fund of the church. It comes out of our checking account two days after the electronic deposit of my paycheck from the church. Even as this is a wonderful solution for our giving, it left me in the pew with the offering plate fast approaching. Here is what I did: I reached for one of the offering envelopes in the pew, on the back I scribbled a note that said “Our tithe will be transferred electronically to the church this month”, and with great satisfaction I put that envelope into the offering plate! It gives me great joy to tithe our income to the kingdom of God through our church.

Last night we had a thunderstorm, with a lightning strike that sounded like it hit the house, temporarily knocking out power while I was in the shower! There is no apparent damage outside.
After we enjoyed watching the Lone Ranger on the day it was released, I rode my Concours over to Collettes, where Steve helped me get a bolt secured for my top carrier, and replace my headlight. There was a clip that was persnickety, but once Steve figured it out the rest was simple (for him!) Tomorrow we launch into our trip to Yellowstone, which we have dreamed about for a long time. Our four-day venture into Colorado in 2011 was a good prelude, and my trip with Bickers last year was great preparation, as we travelled for 6 days on our bikes.

Today I will wash my bike, pack my gear, work around the house and garden, and generally enjoy this national holiday. June 3 was the last full day off I experienced, and 31 days is a long time to work without a break. This upcoming motorcycle trip will provide an excellent sabbath. I am rereading Zen and Now by Mark Richardson as I will ride into Bozeman, Montana on a day trip through Yellowstone out of Dubois. Robert Pirsig rode his 1964 Honda SuperHawk (CB77) through Bozeman in 1968 with his son Chris on the back and then wrote Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance based on the trip. Richardson does a great job of using his motorcycle trip, which retraced Pirsig’s route as a basis to comment and review Pirsig’s life and writings.

Deut 4:44 – 6:25
Moses reviews the past 40 years, reminding the people of the 10 commandments, received on Mt. Sinai at the beginning of the Exodus. I am in a season of not hearing God’s voice or sensing His presence. I have noticed this, and daily journey forward knowing that God is present, is guiding me, and that I am seeking to do His will. I realize that seasons such as this are part of the spiritual life. I do not want to miss out on any experience with God, neither do I want to manufacture or strain for an experience.

This morning, most Holy Lord, I bask in your unseen presence, I listen to your silent Word, I live in your invisible love. I am yours. My life is lived for You. My heart beats to serve You. My resources are directed to your Kingdom. My relationships are nurtured reflecting your relationship. This is the day which You have made, I will rejoice and be glad in it!

1 comment: