Friday, October 11, 2013

October 11, 2013

Yesterday was long and arduous, and fruitful. Our Lay Leadership (Nominating) Committee meeting ran from 7 til 9:15 pm, and we accomplished much. I am up this morning at 6 am, feeling rested and ready for the day. My schedule is more open today, and there are several tasks I need to accomplish, in addition to the main task of sermon preparation.

As I prepare to read scripture, I am thankful for this record of the moving of God in the lives of people, and the accounts of how people either trusted God or did not, (trusting in themselves or idols instead.) I have been using the Chronological Life Application Study Bible this year, having received it as a gift from the Springfield Pastor Appreciation lunch last year. I like its format and arrangement for my morning devotions.

I Sam 9:21 – 10
Samuel was expecting Saul, who is simply looking for his father’s donkeys who have strayed away. Samuel anoints him and shares prophecy with him, sending him on his way. Samuel meets with all Israel and by lot selects Saul’s tribe and family and finally Saul to be the Lord’s choice for King. The Life Application Bible has a good article on Saul. It states that “From Saul we learn that while our strengths and abilities make us useful, it is our weaknesses that make us usable. Our skills and talents make us tools, but our failures and shortcomings remind us that we need a Craftsman in control of our lives. Whatever we accomplish on our own is only a hint of what God could do through our lives.”

The story of Saul, and this quote from the Life Application article give me pause to reflect. My strengths and abilities make me useful. Last week at the staff retreat we took the Meyers Briggs and it again resulted in describing my personality as being an ENFJ, which is interpreted as suitable for clergy, counselor, etc. The Strengthfinders analysis describes me as Woo, Strategic, Input, Arranger, Maximizer. Also, I am conscious of  my failures and shortcomings. I deal internally with the “ouch” of realizing my weaknesses.  Held in light of Saul, it serves the kingdom of God well to pay attention to my failures and shortcomings to remind me that I need a Craftsman in control of my life, and that whatever I might accomplish on my own is only a hint of what God could do through my life. This is a powerful thought for me this morning, giving life and energy and faith to my approach for this day, this weekend, and the future.

 Guide me Holy Lord as I surrender my life this day and everyday to Your control and direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment