Thursday, October 31, 2013

October 31, 2013


The Cardinals lost the 6th game of the World Series last night 6-1, and the series 4-2. The Boston Red Sox clinched it at home for the first time in 95 years, since Babe Ruth was inserted in the 8th inning for defensive purposes, after which they traded him away and didn’t win another World Series until 2004. Having preached a few weeks ago about how entertainment can be an idol, I have been very careful during this World Series not to give it more power or attention than it deserves in my life. I have gone to bed before the end of most games. 
I Sam 23-24; Psalm 54
I like the way my Chronological Life Application Study Bible inserts the Psalms into the narrative of David. I read I Sam 24 on January 6 of this year. As I read it this morning I imagine the scene and the setting, and the suspense of 3000 elite troops of Saul chasing David and his 600 men through the wilderness of Israel. Truly God was with David. Looking back on this from 3000 years later most of the suspense is gone. In that moment, the outcome was uncertain. 
My life is very settled. I have a nice house, a great family, a wonderful vocation, and good health. I must continue to trust God completely, to never settle or sit back (David did this as king and Bathsheba happened.) There is so much to do, risks still to take, uncertainty to embrace. I trust God completely, and this morning I renew my resolve to serve Him without reservation. 
Guide me today, most holy Lord. I am yours. I thank you for all the saints, who from their labors rest. May all of my energy and effort be invested in building your kingdom, for thine is the glory and the power forever and ever, amen. 
A Collection of Forms of Prayers for Every Day of the Week, published by John Wesley in 1733 is a helpful guide. I just prayed through the Thursday Morning prayer. It takes some work to translate it from the King’s English to modern expression, and the effort was well worth the time. I used this yesterday morning also, as recommended by Steve Harper in his Devotional Life in the Wesleyan Tradition (1983).

No comments:

Post a Comment