Friday, June 14, 2013

June 14, 2013

It is John Wesley time (4:30 am)! Whenever I am out of bed during the 4 o’clock hour in the morning I remember John Wesley, who arose very early every morning. I am able to do this naturally (without an alarm) every now and then. This morning from 3:30 on I was awake, thinking about pastoral ministry through Wesley, sermons to preach this summer, the expanded ministry footprint, etc. I also am aware that I have not worked out since Monday a week ago in O’Fallon. I plan to go to the gym this morning by 5:30, given my schedule the rest of the day. I have been trying to strike a balance with this bronchitis, giving it enough rest to recover, but not succumbing to its debilitation. Yesterday I felt a little better, and that improvement continues this morning.

Numbers 22-23:26 (At this painfully slow rate of a chapter a day, I will not see the conquest of the Promised Land completed for a long time!)

As the Israelites camp opposite Jericho on the plains of Moab, the Moabite king sends for Balaam who lives near the Euphrates River to come and curse the encroaching horde. Balaam seeks God’s direction, who tells him not to go, and after some give and take, sets out intending only to say what God tells him. God is angry that he has even set out, and blocks his way with the invisible angel of the Lord. Balaam’s ass (donkey) sees and avoids this angel, but gets beaten each time by Balaam. Then the Lord gives the donkey the ability to speak, and he asks Balaam why he is beating him. God opens Balaam’s eyes to the spiritual reality, and he is humbled. God tells him to proceed, but only speak what he is told by God.

This is a most interesting account, and my take-away is to be ever more sensitive to the leading of the spirit, to go when prompted, and to stay put when not prompted to go, and to always be discerning what the will of the Lord is.


Guide me today, most holy Lord as I live, move and breathe every moment in your presence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment