Wednesday, June 26, 2013

June 26, 2013

Ahh, the coffee is delicious, the couch is comfortable, and at 5:30 am I am ready for my early morning reading, prayer, and planning. My routine has been so irregular during June that I have found it difficult to write, and also to practice the saxophone. (I will play in the orchestra this Sunday for the Patriotic Pageant.) Yesterday I had new tires installed on the Kawasaki Concours which completes the final step to preparing it for the longest ride yet attempted, to Yellowstone, including Kansas, Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, and South Dakota.  We leave a week from Friday. I still need to get my camping gear and all my supplies sorted out and figure out how to pack them.  I am rereading Zen and Now which retraces the route of Robert Pirsig’s 1968 motorcycle trip which was the basis for his famous book, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. We will cover a small part of his route.

Numbers 33-34

Moses was instructed to record the travels of Israel, and chapter 33 is his record of their travels from Egypt for the 40+ years until they arrived at the Promised Land. It is very concise, recording every place where they camped. I enjoy reading travel logs, and have kept a log of my longer motorcycle trips. The fact that God instructed Moses to keep this record reminds me that community history is important for a people to remember, and important to God.

Chapter 34 describes the boundaries of the Promised Land, which would become the nation of Israel. God commanded his people to drive out all the inhabitants, and if any were left they would be like splinters and thorns for the Israelites. Reading this historical record I am again awed by the plans of God, his care for his people, and the harsh treatment to the enemies who worshiped false gods, bowed to idols and were involved in hideous practices such as human sacrifice and ritual prostitution. God is still involved in the human race, has revealed his will and purposes, has provided his son for our salvation, and made possible a daily walk in his presence.


Guide me today Lord as I serve you with joy. May my conversations, planning, praying, and interactions honor you and further your kingdom in this generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment