Wednesday, November 6, 2013

November 6, 2013


Weeks ago we designated November at Wesley Church as 30 days of Thanks. Our goal is to focus upon the gratitude we have for all of God’s blessings. On November 1, I awoke and lost my balance, falling to the left as I got out of bed. As I went outside to get the paper and looked up into the beautiful sky it began to spin a little. Later in the morning I felt numbness on the left side of my face and decided that I really should not pilot a small plane. Learning that my blood pressure was 200 over 124 I decided to visit the emergency room. After EKG, blood work, an MRI, and a follow-up visit to my doctor, it is likely I had a small stroke. There is no apparent permanent damage. Further tests and observations will continue.

I am grateful for so many things. For my caring wife Audrey and her concern for my health and well being. For our son David, his wife Danelle and our daughter Bethany as their young adult lives continue to develop along healthy pathways. For Wesley United Methodist Church, including the adoption of St. Paul United Methodist Church, as we chart new territory into the Year of Jubilee and beyond.  For the medical communities of Springfield, and for each person who has invested their life in training to treat the human body and its anomalies.

And today, I am grateful for my health, and the strength to continue to serve Christ through the vocation of being a pastor. With no serious health history, the reality of surviving stroke-like symptoms gives me a new sense of awe and appreciation for the way God has created life, and all the complicated systems of the human body. Fred Luper (director of facilities at Wesley) likes to call these bodies our “earth suits.” Mine malfunctioned and thankfully it survived and did some self-repair. Now it is under closer scrutiny!

I invite you to continue this month in celebrating 30 days of thanks. Count your blessings, name them one by one. God is at work among us, and will do even greater things than we can imagine!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment