Wednesday, February 17, 2010

February 17, 2010

February 17, Ash Wednesday 5:30 am Grayrock 21 degrees

I am ready for this much anticipated day. This morning is the beginning of Lent, the historic season of preparation by Christians throughout the ages. We have just begun the “One Month to Live” series, and last night I hosted the first small group session. We met in my office which worked well for our first session. Next week we will meet somewhere in Honduras (my small group consists of members and family of Honduras mission team) and then upon return we will establish our plan for the rest of Lent.

Today I will apply ashes at 6:45 with Wes Buckholz for the youth who make the sacrifice to stop by Wesley before school and wear the ashes all day, and tonight at 6:00 for the congregation who gather in the sanctuary.
Scripture – Psalm 36
“Your unfailing love, O Lord, is as vast as the heavens; your faithfulness reaches to the clouds. Your righteousness is like the mighty mountains, your justice like the ocean depths. You care for people and animals alike, O Lord.”

As a new Christian I learned a song based on this scripture (King James Version) which runs through my mind as I read this New Living Translation. The vastness of God, and His care for people and animals. Caring is the middle verb of our church’s mission statement, and this morning I am reminded from this Psalm that it is the action of God, also embodied in and through the church. Guide me today as I care for people (and a couple of cats!) O Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment