Friday, February 19, 2010

February 18 and 19

2-18-10 Thursday, 6:55 am Grayrock Dr.; 16 degrees, sunny
I hear birds chirping! This winter has been a long, cold, dark season, which will make Spring all the more beautiful in contrast. I hung the bluebird house that last year hosted one family of bluebirds and two broods of sparrows. Tomorrow the 14 of us leave for Honduras, spending Friday night in Houston en route.
Mark 3:7-30; Psalm 37:1-11; Proverbs 10:3-4

In the gospel Jesus heals many, casts out demons, and calls his twelve disciples. The religious leaders, who are becoming his enemies accuse him of being “possessed by Satan”, and thus able to cast out demons. He responds with the illustration that a country divided against itself cannot stand, and a family which is feuding will fall apart. I desire to be fully used by God, which might make some religious leaders uncomfortable.

Psalm 37:3-4 says “Trust in the Lord and do good. Then you will live safely in the land and prosper. Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you your heart’s desires.” I do trust in the Lord and am experiencing His blessing as I delight in Him. I am trusting Him for safety on this trip to Honduras as I do on a daily basis.
Lord, guard me from complacency, from being content with the way things are. Use me in the ongoing struggle of your Kingdom coming, against all evil, injustice, and even religious opposition. In my remaining years, send me into the middle of your work, give me wisdom, courage and patience when those around do not understand.

2-19-10 Friday, 7:25 am Grayrock, 39 degrees, cloudy
We leave this morning for Honduras, by way of Kansas City, Houston, and then tomorrow, Honduras. Larry will drive the church van for us today, Wes will pick us up next Saturday.

Mark 3:31-4:25 Jesus teaches in parables.

He uses the parable of the seed and the soil to teach his disciples about God’s word. His explanation describes the variety of responses I have observed throughout my ministry in United Methodist Churches across Missouri – some do not respond at all, the evil one having snatched the seed immediately. Some accept the word, but have no roots, and soon fall away. Some begin to grow as followers of Christ, but “all too quickly the message is crowded out by the worries of this life, the lure of wealth, and the desire for other things, so no fruit is produced” (4:19-20) And I have the joy of seeing some people respond to God’s word as fertile soil, reproducing the life of Christ 30, 60, even 100 fold.

I desire to continue to be fertile soil, to deepen my roots, to eliminate any “thorns”, and to multiply. Guide me Lord as I venture to Honduras to support your work there, and as we daily move forward in the “One Month to Live” 30-day challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment