Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Day 2 - Forty Days in the Word!


This morning as I sit on my recliner with the gas fire warming the room I turn to the scriptures for Day 2 of our church-wide emphasis. The sky is getting lighter as the dawn develops, and I desire to experience the light of God through the Word this morning.

Philippians 1, especially 27a: “Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ.”  

Verses 9-11 provide great preparation for actually doing the above. “…that your love may abound still more and more in real knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve the things that are excellent, in order to be sincere and blameless  until the day of Christ; having been filled with the fruit of righteousness which comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God.” (Philippians 1:9-11)

Whatever happens – anything can happen. I must anticipate the best, the worst, and everything in between as possible things that could happen.

Conduct yourselves – I have the choice of how I will conduct myself. There are many options – my conduct is important.

In a manner – so many different “manners” possible for conduct – in school conduct is evaluated separately from academic performance. I am aware that conduct matters!

Worthy – there are various unworthy ways to conduct oneself. Christ died for me at the hand of sinners who falsely accused him and thought they were getting rid of him. My conduct must be worthy of Christ’s death.

Of the Gospel of Christ – as a Christian and as a pastor, I represent the Gospel of Christ in what I do. This is my standard, this is the measurement of worthiness.

Lord, whatever happens today, may I conduct myself in a manner worthy of Your good news, of the life you have made possibly through your obedience. As others observe my life, may they see You in all I do, say, imply, suggest and affirm. This is the day that you have made, I will rejoice and be glad in it!

No comments:

Post a Comment