Monday, February 24, 2014

Day 1 - Forty Days in the Word

At Wesley United Methodist Church we have just begun "40 Days in the Word" as an all church emphasis. We are using the material developed by Rick Warren including the life group Workbook. I will be using the suggested readings for my daily devotions. For days 1-7 the recommendation is to read the book of Philippians, and focus on the scripture for the day. Philippians is one of my favorite New Testament books. I have also found great comfort in the Psalms, so each day I will add the Psalm recommended for the day from the One Year Bible.

Philippians 1:6
NASB:” For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.”  I find great hope and comfort in this verse. God has begun a good work in me. God is not finished with me yet. My walk with God is not stagnant or idle. It is God who began the good work in me, and it is God who will perfect, or complete it – the good work – until the return of Christ or until I am called home, whichever occurs first.

Last night I read the Feb 23 selection from a compendium of Bonhoeffer’s writings in which he described faith and obedience. It was a complex thought; y take was essentially that you cannot choose to have faith as a construct, while at the same time refusing to obey by following Christ in every detail of your life. He wrote from the context of the Nazi buildup in the 1930’s as he led an underground seminary and wrote The Cost of Discipleship. His life is a great example of one in whom God began a good work and perfected it, as Bonhoeffer obeyed, right up to the end of a hangman’s noose. I have great opportunity to obey God today, this week, this month, this year.

Guide me Holy Lord and perfect Your good work in me today as I live for the day of Christ Jesus.

Psalm 40:11-17 (February 24 from the One Year Bible)

“…may all who search for You be filled with joy and gladness in you. May those who love your salvation repeatedly shout, ‘The Lord is great!’ As for me, since I am poor and needy, let the Lord keep me in his thoughts. You are my helper and my savior. O my God, do not delay.”

No comments:

Post a Comment