Friday, February 28, 2014

Day 5 - Forty Days in the Word

Philippians 3:17- 4:7 including the verse for the day:
 
“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.” (Philippians 4:6)

Paul reiterates in Chapter 4 his encouragement to “stand firm in the Lord…rejoice in the Lord always…let your forbearing spirit be known to all men…

Using the “pronounce it” technique of Rick Warren’s devotional Bible study method, I will take verse 6 bit by bit:

Do not be anxious  I just took my blood pressure, (a somewhat regular practice recommended by my doctor) and it is in the acceptable range. As I prepare to push the start button on the device, I take 10 slow, deep breaths so that I am “not anxious” as the cuff tightens around my arm and measures my blood pressure. It is a discipline for me to “not be anxious” and I will practice it today in every situation.

About anything This covers everything! I will not be anxious about my health, my job, my marriage, my adult children, the weather, my neighbors, the future, my cars, my finances, my next meal, …anything.
 
But in everything  See above list.

By prayer and petition Talking to God, making my requests known, spelling out everything that has the possibility of making me anxious.

With thanksgiving  The antidote to anxiety seems to be thanksgiving. Don’t worry, be thankful.

Present your requests This describes a formal presentation, an action with intentionality involving my personal requests.

To God Sitting here in my family room in the quiet of this Friday morning, it is important for me to remember and acknowledge that my prayer is a presentation to the creator of heaven and earth, the Lord of the Universe, the eternal all powerful, all knowing, ever present God. Wow!!!

Thank you Lord for hearing my prayer. I will endeavor to be anxious for nothing but in everything give thanks to You and present my requests before your throne. Today I rejoice and forbear.

No comments:

Post a Comment