Monday, April 1, 2013

April 1, 2013


On this Monday morning, the first day after Easter, my heart is full and my body is recovering. The last 5 days have been full of exertion, and fruitful. I feel the spiritual impact of these days has been significant, and I am pleased with the Easter celebration at Wesley. The music was beautiful, the involvement of youth and children was substantial, and the logistics seemed to enhance the hospitality. As I presented the message "Where Did He Go?" it felt like I was able to communicate the good news of the resurrection with clarity and connection, in ways that invited the hearers to open up hearts and lives to Jesus Christ. I was very conscious that it is not my kingdom I am building, but Jesus’ eternal kingdom. I am looking forward to his return.

This morning I am discerning what to do. I have an inkling to go fishing at Roaring River. The temperature is reasonable, and my gear is at the ready. Audrey is fine with the idea.  Even though bringing home some trout is the goal, the benefit is spending time outdoors, in a state park, in early spring, watching, listening, smelling, feeling the natural world begin to blossom.

Exodus 32 – The Golden Calf

While Moses is on Mt. Sinai, receiving the commandments and instructions from God, the people get impatient and have Aaron make them a god they can see. God alerts Moses, who argues with God when He threatens to annihilate His people and create a new people for Moses. God relents, and Moses with Joshua return to the people, destroy the idol and make them drink water sprinkled with its ashes.

I must always be alert for anything that I would put in place of God, anything that could become for me or my people a visible replacement for the invisible God. Later in their journey the people will begin to revere too extremely the bronze serpent that Moses raises up in the wilderness, and it will have to be destroyed, because it becomes an item of worship, replacing the invisible God.

Guide me today, most Holy Lord as I rest, rejoice and recover from the work of Holy Week. I am your servant; use me according to your plan and purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment