Thursday, April 4, 2013

April 4, 2013


The first bird started singing at 5:14 this morning, and there is a chorus of various voices chirping away in my backyard. After today, the weather is predicted to get warmer and sunnier for the next 5 days, with highs in the mid 60s and lows in the 40s. I will be planting the two tomato plants I purchased and tending to yard and garden. I plan to keep the garden simple, with just a few tomatoes and a couple of okra plants. I have not sprouted anything from seed this year. I have the mower blade sharpened, and I hope to get one more season out of my 9 year-old walk-behind mower.

Exodus 35-36:7

The materials for constructing the Tabernacle and its equipment are gathered from those who are willing and eager to give. This chapter is a great example of stewardship at its finest, as people who have a vision for the kingdom of God bring their gold, silver, precious stones, fabric, wood, and anything they have that is needed. In 36:5 the craftsmen went to Moses and said tell the people we have enough, and they can stop bringing their treasures. Several times in this chapter the terms “willing” and “eager” are used. I am willing and eager to participate in the work of God. I desire to share this in a way that is contagious.

For Wesley UMC in Springfield, on the horizon, is the need to build modern, state of the art children’s facilities. The current space we use is dated and lacks the physical structure needed to provide the confidence for today’s parent who is dropping off their child. Our facility study committee is working to develop options and possibilities to further the mission of the church. I can picture a day in the coming year or two when people will have an opportunity to bring their treasures to invest in the facility for the cause of Christ at Wesley. For 49 years people have been doing so, and the current physical structure is a testimony to the generosity of the followers of Christ called Wesley UMC.

Guide me today, most holy Lord, in the work you have called me to do as pastor, teacher, servant-leader. I eagerly lean into this work, and bring the best of my skill, experience, energy, time, and vision to each meeting, each planning session, each item of writing and preparation today. I am Yours, use me according to your plan and purposes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment