Friday, April 12, 2013

April 12, 2013


I covered my two tomato plants last night, and am relieved that there is no frost this morning. I will cover them again tonight, which might be the last frost of the year. I will be in Columbia tomorrow to attend Surge, the support meeting for college student ministries in Missouri. I will fly the Cherokee 140 tonight after attending the 7 pm flying club meeting, in which we will elect a new president. I will join our team for pizza in Columbia around 10:30. This is our second year of grant-supported college ministries, and I am pleased with the fruit of the ministry. On Monday I am back in Columbia to make the grant presentation to the Congregational Development Team. 

Leviticus 3-4

These chapters describe procedures for the peace offering and the sin offering. In my Chronological Life Application Study Bible there is a great chart which lists the 5 types of offerings, their purpose, significance and the role Christ has filled in being the perfect offering. The 5 types are: burnt offering, grain offering, peace offering, sin offering, guilt offering. Following the death and resurrection of Christ, his followers no longer need to provide offerings to cover their sin. The destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem made further offerings impossible, as that was the only acceptable place to present them. Christians have given a portion of their assets and income to God through the church as expressions of discipleship and generosity. At Wesley, we receive around $30,000 each week in tithes and offerings.

Guide me Holy Lord as I develop my message for this weekend, lead Your church, and follow your will. Guard me from anything that would distract me from the work of your Kingdom. I give You thanks for the church, your body on earth, and especially for Wesley UMC in Springfield, its history, its people, and the future You are leading us into. 

No comments:

Post a Comment