Friday, April 5, 2013

April 5, 2013


Today is going to feel like the first day of spring. The sun is out and the temperature will hit 65. The birds sound happy as they chirp and sing. I am taking today off, my “Good Friday” makeup day, and have several opportunities including – work in the garden and yard, changing the oil and starting the lawn mower, rebuilding compost pile and raised garden, a walk in the park with Audrey, a run, changing the oil and/or taking a motorcycle ride, an hour of flying, a movie, etc.

Exodus 36-37 The details of constructing the tabernacle and its equipment, supervised by Bezalel the craftsman. This is interesting, and sometimes tedious reading. I realize the importance of details. My orientation is toward people, not projects. God has gifted me in relating to people in all of life’s circumstances, thus the skill he has given me which I have honed is pastoral. I must continue to cultivate this skill, to use it in strengthening the Kingdom. Being careful not to burn out, I must pass on my love for Christ, for the church, for people both within and beyond the faith community.

Last night I was talking with one of our members, who is retiring from law enforcement due to an injury. As he was talking about his career, one of his joys was in the number of young men who had been interns that had gone on to jobs with the county, city, and state highway patrol. This is the mark of a person truly committed to his work, the raising up of the next generation. This is part of my calling as a pastor, and as chair of the board of ordained ministry. I must intentionally pursue this. Pastor Mi Hyeon has suggested that we gather all the people at Wesley who have expressed an interest in vocational ministry, and structure an event to inform and inspire them. This would be a good idea.

Guide me this morning, most holy Lord, as I worship You and enjoy You today.

No comments:

Post a Comment