Saturday, March 1, 2014

Day 6 - Forty Days in the Word


I am up early (3:30 am) on the first day of March. There is a lot to think about with the winter storm approaching and its impact on Sunday worship and also the Board of Ordained Ministry interviews in Columbia on Monday and Tuesday. For my devotions this morning I will continue to follow Rick Warren's suggestions in his workbook for Forty Days in the Word. Today is day 6.
 
Philippians 4:8-13

Things to think about: whatever is true, honorable, right, pure, lovely, of good repute, anything excellent and anything worthy of praise (verse 8). This is a great verse, with exceptional power to impact the thought-life of the Christ-follower.

Especially verse 13 “I can do all things through Him (Christ) who strengthens me.

Using the “pronounce it” method of Bible meditation:

I – Bruce Baxter

Can – it is possible

Do – action, not spectator, not watch, but do!

All – inclusive, total, lacking nothing

Things – everything, not imaginary but real

Through – not on my own

Him (Christ) – the key, the Way, the Truth, the Life

Who – not me

Strengthens – makes stronger, provides muscle, insures energy, fortitude, gumption

Me – Bruce Baxter

Given all that lies ahead, I need to be strengthened through Christ as I am in Christ seeking to do the will of God, build the kingdom of God, serve the purposes of God, plant the seeds of God, reap the harvest of God, prepare for eternity with God.

Today, Saturday March 1 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!
 

Psalm 44:1-26 (One Year Bible for March 1)

This Psalm is attributed to “the sons of Korah”. It reflects upon the work God did in the “days of old” driving out the nations. “For by their own sword  they did not possess the land; and their own arm did not save them; but Thy right hand, and Thine arm, and the light of Thy presence, for Thou didst favor them.” (Psalm 44:3 NASB)

This understanding of God’s role in the time of Joshua and the conquest of the promised land fits well with the verse from Philippians “I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.”  The Psalmist continues “You are my King, O God; … for I will not trust in my bow, nor will my sword save me. But You have saved us from our adversaries, … in God we have boasted all day long, and we will give thanks to Your name forever.”   Yes!!!! It is in the strength of God, in the power of God flowing through obedient servants that great things are done. Sometimes this is the occupying of the Promised Land, sometimes this is standing up to evil even to the death (like Bonhoeffer). I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me, and though some trust in chariots, and some in horses, I will remember the name of the Lord my God!!!

Guide me today, most Holy One who strengthens me. In every conversation, every decision, every initiative, I am yours. It is not through my sword, or my computer or my phone, but your power that will accomplish your purposes through my life today. Bless the conversation over coffee this morning, and all that flows through this first day of March, in the face of a strong winter storm approaching tomorrow in the Ozarks.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment