Thursday, March 28, 2013

March 28, 2013


Of Thy Mystical Supper, O Son of God, accept me today as a communicant; for I will not speak of Thy mystery to Thine enemies, neither will I give Thee a kiss like Judas. But like the thief will I confess Thee: Remember me, O Lord, in Thy Kingdom.

The above Troparion is from eastern Christianity, according to the Wikipedia article on Maundy Thursday. It is my prayer today, as I look forward to the service of Holy Communion tonight led by Pastor Jim Massey and his Jerusalem pilgrims.

The birds are singing outside, and the temperature is in the 40s, up 20 degrees from yesterday morning. It is beginning to feel like spring, even though March has been cold and snowy. I think that the weather will establish a great context for Easter Sunday. The 40 days of Lent have helped me to prepare for Easter, and the services each of the next three nights at Wesley will further develop the anticipation and preparation for the resurrection. Tonight is the last supper, tomorrow we have 2 Good Friday services, and on Saturday there will be the confirmation baptism service.

Exodus 29 contains the instructions to Moses from God about how to ordain Aaron and his sons into the priesthood. This service will last 7 days, and include the sacrifice of a young bull and two rams on the first day, and 2 lambs each of the following days. As chair of the board of ordained ministry in the Missouri Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church, I will be involved in the ordination service of elders and deacons at Annual Conference in June. The service typically runs long, but not 7 days! It is very special, and I consider it a great privilege to be part of the ordination process which culminates in the service of ordination. I was ordained in 1982, and the service, held in the sanctuary on the campus of Central Methodist College (now University) was most memorable.

God has given me a special burden for pastors – for the calling, equipping, deployment, nurture, and cultivation of men and women called to tend the flock of God – to seek out the lost, to comfort the dying, to lead seekers and Christ-followers to the Rock. I am currently reading Dangerous Calling by Paul David Tripp, subtitled Confronting the Unique Challenges of Pastoral Ministry. He has very good insights, and even though written from the perspective of churches which call their own pastors, what he says is very relevant to United Methodists and others who serve under appointment.

Guide me today, most Holy One. I yield myself to your mystery. I revel in your love and grace. Use me according to your holy purposes and divine will. Lead me in your righteousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment