Friday, June 10, 2011

June 10, 2011

6-10-11 Friday, 7:19 am Springfield, 72 degrees, partly cloudy

One week ago today was the official start of the Missouri Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church. I am thankful for the structure of our denomination, and especially for the leadership in Missouri, from Bishop Schnase through the district superintendents and the conference staff. I am hopeful for the future, and supportive of the emphasis upon the local church making disciples. Today I will write my study guide for week two of Isaiah, write my sermon, film a teaching session for next week, visit a gunshot victim in the hospital, and begin to prepare for the motorcycle trip next week.

Acts 7:30-50

Stephen’s speech to the Jewish council after his arrest. In these verses he recounts the call of Moses, and the leadership Moses provided to the Israelites as God delivered them from Egypt (about 1400 years previous to Stephen and this council.) Stephen recalls the tendency to divert from following God by making idols – such as the golden calf Aaron allowed in the wilderness. Verses 42-43 from The Message says: “God wasn’t at all pleased; but he let them do it their way, worship every new god that came down the pike – and live with the consequences, consequences described by the prophet Amos: Did you bring me offerings of animals and grains those forty wilderness years, O Israel? Hardly. You were too busy building shrines to war gods, to sex goddesses, worshiping them with all your might. That’s why I put you in exile in Babylon.”

It is good for me to read Stephen’s speech this morning, and his recounting of the rebellion by the Israelites. In verses 49-50 he quotes from Isaiah 66 in which God declares that heaven is His footstool, and thus what kind of house could humans build for Him? Today I live in a time in which humans are so proud of their corporate accomplishments, and at the same time empty and searching for meaning and purpose. God’s word, inspired by the Holy Spirit and working through the church, the Body of Christ is powerful, and I have the privilege today of devoting myself to the ministry of the Word and to prayer.

Guide me Holy Lord as I serve You today, June 10, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment