Thursday, June 16, 2011

June 16, 2011

6-16-11 Thursday, 5:13 am Springfield, 66 degrees, clear, full moon and morning star lighting the sky.

I awoke to an incessant beeping coming from the laundry room where the keypad for our security system is installed. The system status report stated that “the battery is not fully charged”. It will be quiet now for 4 hours. After 6 ½ hours of sleep, my battery is not fully charged, but I am up and eager to study, write, pray and work.

Steve and I returned at 5:15 pm yesterday from our four-day motorcycle trip through Missouri, Kansas and Colorado. We had nothing to do but ride. Travelling 1,969.2 miles in four days was challenging and rewarding. I hope to write up a trip log recording all the towns we stopped in and the things we saw and did. I found the song “Standing on the Promises” repeating in my mind often during the repetitive hours of riding. I also was thinking a lot about discipleship, the processes that churches use, and how I might work to improve those processes. At Wesley, we have a task force which meets tonight that has been addressing the discipleship process for about 2 years now. My conversation with Steve Rankin (who has written a book on discipleship) last week was most helpful and has motivated me to apply more energy to this area of church life. I could see partnering with Steve, and perhaps Bishop Wilke to make a wider implementation of solid discipleship processes across the United Methodist connection. One insight I had from our recent ride is that “you have to be out front to lead”, as I was the trailing bike on the ride, and with no voice communication, I discovered that on a trip like this, a person can only lead from being out front. I think this is true also of discipleship, and one can only lead from being a growing disciple, in all the aspects of following Christ.

Scripture: (from the One Year Bible) Acts 10:24-48

Peter accepts the invitation from the messengers from Cornelius, the centurion, who came to find him in Joppa. He has just had a vision of unclean animals being lowered down from heaven on a sheet. Reaching Ceasarea Peter finds a group of relatives and close friends assembled with Cornelius, waiting for Peter. Peter begins by stating “You yourselves know how unlawful it is for a man who is a Jew to associate with a foreigner or to visit him; and yet God has shown me that I should not call any man unholy or unclean.” (verse 28) Peter hears about the vision Cornelius had while praying (verses 30-33) and concludes “I most certainly understand now that God is not one to show partiality, but in every nation the man who fears Him and does what is right, is welcome to Him. (verses 34-35 NASB)

On the fourth Sunday of June, the message I preach from Isaiah will be on the theme of God desiring to share the good news to the world through the people of Israel. This incident recorded in Acts 10 is a great illustration of how this was accomplished through the disciples of Jesus, even as they were all Jewish. Peter needed this vision from God and the powerful events with Cornelius to fully get it. It would then be the apostle Paul whose ministry would be primarily to the gentiles, and with the blessing of Peter and the other disciples.

Also, in August I will address the contribution made by the Pentecostal and Charismatic branch of the church during my series on “The Christian Family Tree”. This event, with its experience of God’s direct leading and speaking to Peter and Cornelius illustrates the emphasis of Pentecostal folks today.

Lord, I desire to be led by your Holy Spirit today and every day to take your Word to all people. You have given me ideas and inspiration. I ask that today as I work at the church office on sermon prep and Bible study planning, you would guide my thoughts and actions to expand your kingdom on earth through the life of Wesley United Methodist Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment