Sunday, June 19, 2011

June 19, 2011

6-19-11 Sunday, 5:09 am Springfield, 66 degrees clear.

A thunderstorm rolled through about 3:30 this morning with a little rain, a little lightening, a little wind. Now the air is cooler. Today I head to camp Galilee for six days of being a camp counselor for senior high boys. I am looking forward to this experience and all the ways God will use this time and place to accomplish His purposes in many lives, including mine. This morning I will bring the message of how much God loves His people, and everybody is included in this love. I will use the metaphor of the vineyard, and from the Space Shuttle program, the care that NASA provides for its astronauts.

Romans 11 – Israel’s rejection is not final

In my sermon this morning I will stress how precious Israel is in the sight of God. They are his special people, “the planting of the Lord”. They have been disobedient, and God has raised up gentiles (which includes me and most everybody I know) to be grafted into the stump of Jesse. It is well within God’s power to graft back into the root the branches of Israel, once cut off. “O the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways! For who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has been his counselor?” … For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be the glory forever. Amen.” (verses 33-36)

Guide me today, most holy Lord as I seek to teach from your word about how special are the people whom you have called, and planted, and cultivated to be your vineyard, your oaks, your body. May those who gather to worship at 8:15, 9:30, 10:30 and 11:00 sense your power and your love. May those who join today, and are baptized today experience the body of Christ at its best.

No comments:

Post a Comment