Tuesday, June 7, 2011

June 7, 2011

6-7-11 Tuesday, 6:28 am Springfield

Yesterday we closed Annual Conference and prayed the Wesleyan Covenant prayer - I am no longer my own, but thine. Put me to what thou wilt, rank me with whom thou wilt. Put me to doing, put me to suffering. Let me be employed for thee or laid aside for thee, exalted for thee or brought low for thee. Let me be full, let me be empty … As we voted for delegates for our delegation to General and Jurisdictional conference, I received the most votes of anyone not elected. I experienced a sense of relief that my calendar would not include trips to Columbia throughout the year etc. I am “ranked” according to God’s plan, and this prayer.

Last night I visited the emergency room where one of our children was being treated for snakebite. Around 8 last night she was bitten on the hand by a copperhead. She was doing well. I will meet with a younger pastor this morning for breakfast and learn of his journey. Worship planning, leadership planning, and our small group round out the rest of Tuesday. I am looking forward to being back in the office now that Conference is over.

Acts 5

Ananias and Sapphira sell some land and then lie to the church about how much it sold for. They did this so they could hold some of the proceeds back, and appear to give all to the church. Each one was struck dead in the presence of Peter as they lied before the church. This is always a troubling account for me to read. As I read it this morning, it seems as though these two were buried so quickly, I wondered if they were really dead. The basic take-away for me is that God is powerful, not to be trifled with, and following Him as a disciple of Jesus Christ is serious and all-consuming.

Guide my steps today Lord as I serve you with joy as a pastor in Springfield.

No comments:

Post a Comment