Saturday, June 11, 2011

June 11, 2011

6-11-11 Saturday, 6:35 am Springfield, 71 degrees

The weather has been very consistent these last few days, with the morning low around 71, and the afternoon high around 91. As Steve and I plan to leave on our 4-day trip tomorrow afternoon, it appears that the weather will be favorable for our ride through Kansas and Colorado. This morning we will meet for breakfast and final planning. Yesterday I made good progress in the role of pastor, working with focus and purpose all day. I had a great conversation with Steve Rankin, (Chaplain at SMU in Dallas) about the process of discipleship in a congregation, and the book which he has written along with the pilot program developing at Lover’s Lane UMC in Dallas. I proposed that we might use his book for our spring life group series.

Isaiah 53
“Who has believed our report? And to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?” This chapter begins with these two questions, and then throughout its 12 verses describes the suffering servant: nothing noteworthy about his appearance (verse 2); despised and rejected by others; a man of suffering and acquainted with grief; and as one from whom others hide their faces he was despised, and we held him of no account. (verse 3) Surely he has borne our infirmities and carried our diseases (verse 4). But he was wounded for our transgressions, crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the punishment that made us whole, and by his bruises we are healed. (verse 5) And all we like sheep have gone astray; we have all turned to our own way. And the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all. (verse 6)

Here in this one chapter there is such a richness of prophecy concerning Jesus. Reading and copying these verses reminds me of how in his day the religious people did not recognize who Jesus was, they disregarded him, rejected him, hurt him, and finally killed him. Now, 2000 years later, I am a beneficiary of his suffering and privileged to share the good news that he has died for me and for everyone who by grace through faith recognizes that He is the son of God.

Guide me today, most precious Lord, as I live a servant life, following in your footsteps. Not my will, but your will be done in my life, and through me that others will know the reality of your salvation, and the sweet eternal fellowship of your love.

No comments:

Post a Comment