Thursday, June 2, 2011

June 2, 2011

June 2, 2011 Thursday, 6:53 am Springfield, 72 degrees.

Today I begin attending meetings for Annual Conference, which formally begins tomorrow. This will be my 30th Annual Conference, and I look forward to the friendships and relationships that will be nurtured during the next 5 days. I am hosting a lunch on Saturday, and lost some sleep last night over that event as I was thinking of details still to check on (such as drinks, sound system, etc.) This is the first year that I have served on the ordained ministry team, which has a large role during the conference with an afternoon meeting today, dinner tonight, and the ordination service on Saturday night. At this point I do not have a leadership role on that conference team, though I do chair the district Ordained Ministry Team.

II Sam 19:11 – 20:13

David’s physical return to Jerusalem, and his return to power as King over the twelve tribes. These chapters contain the nitty gritty of personal loyalties, revenge, positioning, maneuvering. The murder of David’s chosen commander Amasa by the current commander Joab finishes today’s reading in a blood bath. I am thinking about politics and violence in the world today, and all that it involves. Who will be the next leader assassinated, the next rebellion led by an aspiring dictator? I have been concerned that president Obama is a vulnerable target of violence as the language of political debate is so harsh in our country.

Guide my work Lord as I serve You as a shepherd of Your sheep, seeking the lost, caring for the flock, developing fruitful disciples of You who worship, care and serve. Guard me from distraction and paralysis as there are so many details and relationships to care for.

No comments:

Post a Comment