Tuesday, January 1, 2013

January 1, 2012

A brand new year! As I stepped outside to get the paper in the dark and then to put coffee grounds in the compost pile, I had a mixed sense of this being a regular morning, and a brand new year on the calendar. Bethany and Lauren made it safely to LA last night, confirmed by a 3:48 am text. Their flight was delayed 2 hours, but the internet kept us abreast and we timed our trip to the airport accordingly. We arrived the recommended 2 hours early, and played Uno at a table for an hour.

Today there is the visitation for Ruth Goddard from 3-5 pm. I will be writing on Spring 2013 throughout the day, along with preparing for the igniting leaders address for Sunday afternoon. I also will be writing my funeral message. Working through my day off yesterday, and through today’s national holiday has an unusual feel to it, and for record keeping purposes I will apply this toward the days I am away later this month. Audrey and I had a simple New Year’s eve, including the trip to the airport, a visit to the Collette home to let Solomon out and check his food and water, and then at home I made popcorn and we watched a 1942 movie with Fred Astaire and Bing Crosby called “Holiday Inn.” I fell asleep (as I am prone to do during movies) and when I awoke Audrey was watching the New Years Eve broadcast as the ball had dropped. While reading a novel, Fall of Giant, I heard the boom of fireworks as the clock struck midnight here in Springfield. I was asleep within a few minutes!

Genesis 1 ( I will read through the Bible this year, using my new chronological Bible given to me by CPO for pastor’s appreciation in October. )

It is good, on the first day of the year, to read about the beginning of creation. The first chapter of Genesis is a great book with which to start my devotional reading in this new calendar period. Remembering that God created the heavens and the earth, the stars, sun and moon, the oceans and mountains, the fish and birds and animals and plants is refreshing. And then, crowning creation God created humans in the image of God. This reminds me that God is awesome, omnipotent, and eternal, and that humans have a superior place in the created order.

Guide me today, most Holy Lord as I live into this new year. Hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come, your will be done in 2013 on earth as it is in heaven. Give me this year my daily bread, and forgive me my trespasses, as I will forgive those who trespass against me in the coming months. Lead me not into temptation (and there will be many possibilities in the coming year) but deliver me from evil. For thine is the kingdom (whether or not the USA goes over the financial cliff) the power (surpassing nuclear power) and the glory forever (well beyond 2013 or 3013 to the end of time and beyond). Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment