Monday, January 14, 2013

January 14, 2012


On this day in Chicago Audrey Jean Holmgren was born to Glenn and Mary Ellen Holmgren. We will celebrate today as we pack for our trip. I am ready to be away for a while. I feel the weariness of working 7 days a week without a break, as I worked through the holidays with funerals and working on the Spring Training materials and videos. This morning I will officiate at the funeral of a dear mother and grandmother, Fern DeForest. I will also write my newsletter article and tidy up tasks on my desk, including Board of Ordained Ministry details. I also should back up this laptop before this trip. I do not plan on taking it, but instead using Dropbox and other avenues, along with my portable keyboard for the Droid.

Genesis 22-23

Abraham makes the 50 mile trip with Isaac from Beersheba to Mt. Moriah following God’s instructions. What a struggle this must have been with a heavy heart. At the last minute God spoke to Abraham and provided a sheep for the sacrifice when he saw that Abraham truly trusted God and would be obedient at all costs. This incident has always been a little troubling to me as I wonder how many unstable people have thought God was speaking to them to sacrifice loved ones or even strangers. We know that Abraham walked with God, talked with God and obeyed God. The critical component is authenticity – how does a person know that it is God giving direction, and not another voice – the voice of self or even worse, the voice of evil? This is why I always caution people to consult spiritual friends when they feel God is directing them to take an unusual action.

I am about to send a booklet to press, the first of its kind that I have prepared. It is titled Spring Training – The Basics of Grace. I have ambivalent feels about it, desiring it to be the most useful tool it can be. Whenever I write, I always desire the end result to be more complete, thorough, etc. We will produce it and leave the results to God. The sermon series I preach will augment the content of the booklet.

Guide me today, most Holy Lord as I serve you as a husband, father, and pastor. Bless the work of the church in all its many functions today, especially in the comfort of the family which grieves the death of a loved one. Empower me to speak words of comfort and hope. 

No comments:

Post a Comment