Friday, January 25, 2013

January 25, 2013


My mother was born on this day in 1926, 87 years ago. My father never could remember if the first birthday which he celebrated with her made her 26 on the 25th or 25 on the 26th. I remembered her birthday because it was Christmas plus one month. She died 4 ½ years ago, and I miss her. She was a great support and encourager. I have no regrets about my relationship to her and my responsibility for her as she needed my help and my decisions in her last few months. My family and I are the beneficiaries of her hard work, planning and generosity. We own homes, cars and have education because of her vision. I plan to hand on the same legacy, carefully managed to the future generations of Baxters. She did an incredible job of starting over and recovering from her addictive, abusive family of origin. I have benefitted from her intentionality, as has Audrey, David and Bethany. Guide me Lord, on this her birthday, as I give myself away.

Genesis 39-41
These chapters contain the account of Joseph – sold into slavery, favored by God in Egypt, thrown into jail on the false accusations of Potiphar’s wife, forgotten in jail after interpreting dreams of cupbearer and baker, then remembered when Pharaoh has dream of seven fat cows swallowed by seven skinny. Joseph is placed in charge of Egypt for 7 fat years, and then administers reserves during lean years, leading up to his brothers coming to buy grain from Egypt.

Additionally, I read Rankin, Aiming at Maturity, pages 68-70 about spiritual maturity, including a list on page 70 of qualities exhibited by a Christian who is growing to maturity. I am now planning to use the preparation of my Lenten sermons on the basics of grace to develop into a book that will accompany the videos and study guide.

I am yours today, most Holy Father. I desire to emulate Joseph in faithfulness, integrity, fruitfulness, and patient trust in Your will and Your timing. Guide me today as pastor of the wonderful church called Wesley in Springfield. In Jesus Name, amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment