Sunday, January 13, 2013

January 13, 2012


The roads are dry, the trees have a thin layer of ice. My garage door creaked as it was raised, because it faces north from whence the wind blew during the freezing rain last evening. I am so surprised that the roads are dry. I was fearing the worst – ice covered side roads at least. So travel to church this morning should be safe, but it will be a Sunday of low attendance as the weather is quite inclement. I am up early and energized by the adverse conditions. I will meet with the hospitality team at 7:30.

Ruth 1

The account of Ruth and Naomi is the backdrop for my message this morning – “On the Edge of Contentment and Chaos.” I will be exploring how our emotions are critical to our functioning, and steps that we can take to draw back from emotional chaos, no matter what happens around us. I pray that this message will strike at the hearts of many who are on this cliff, or who know someone who is. I will close by telling the story of Horatio Spafford, who suffered terrible loss and wrote the hymn “It is well with my soul” at the very spot where his 4 daughters drowned. My goal is to provide Biblical tools for dealing with the difficulties of life, resulting in more satisfying, abundant life, and hope for the world to come. 

Guide me today, most Holy Lord as I serve you pastoring, teaching, preaching. Use my interactions, words, expressions and presence to communicate your love, hope and peace to the people who venture out on this cold morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment