Saturday, March 8, 2014

Day 10 – Forty Days in the Word



Mark 4, especially verses 35-41.

The first 33 verses of this chapter contain Jesus’ teaching, in parables to the crowds, with explanation to his disciples. Most of the parables are agrarian. I was struck by one aspect of the familiar parable of the sower. What he is sowing is “the word.” As we spend 40 days in the word, the Wesley community is the soil being prepared and receiving what the sower has for each of us. In the midst of these parables, I remembered that I have baby plants sprouted in the basement and I need to water them. It is so easy for me to forget about them for 3-4 days, during which they can dry out. I must never go 3-4 days without God’s word watering my soul.

35-41 Jesus calms a storm – Picture it method of devotional Bible Study

After a long day of teaching the disciples took Jesus in the boat heading for the other side. I can picture the logistics of this, many of the disciples being fisherman, familiar with boats. I can picture its sail, and probably oars. There arose a fierce gale, and waves were breaking over the boat and it was filling with water. Jesus was asleep on the cushion in the stern. The son of God was also fully human, with an earthsuit that needed recharging with sleep, the same need that I have on a daily basis. The disciples roused him out of concern that they would perish. He rebuked the wind and said to the sea “Hush, be still.” The elements obeyed his word. Jesus said to his disciples “Why are you so timid? How is it that you have no faith?” 


This question in the midst of a storm has impacted me this morning as if Jesus was in this room, speaking directly to me – Bruce, why are you so timid? How is it that you have no faith?  I will ponder this question all day, and into next week.   Guide me today, most holy Lord in all I do, say, prepare, plan, and confront. 

No comments:

Post a Comment