Thursday, March 6, 2014

Day 8 - Forty days in the Word

Mark 1, especially verses 40-45

Jesus is baptized by John the Baptist, and a voice “came out of the heavens: ‘you are my beloved Son, in you I am well-pleased.” The Spirit then impelled Him to go out into the wilderness, where he was tempted for 40 days. John was arrested, and Jesus “came into Galilee preaching the gospel of God, and saying, ‘The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel.”

The rest of the first chapter of Mark describes the ministry of Jesus, including His calling the first disciples, casting out demons, healing Peter’s mother-in-law. Verses 40 – 45 describe His healing of a leper. Using the “picture it” method of devotional Bible Study I will put myself into this story.

“A leper came to Him”   This man who had been certified with a contagious and often fatal skin disease had heard about the healing power of Jesus, and took initiative to come to Jesus. As a leper, he was unclean, and anyone who touched him would become unclean. He took a huge risk, of being rejected, sent away, etc. We do not know how long he had been a leper, but he started out healthy like most people. I have come down with a cold these last few days, and I know I am contagious, and my sneezing and runny nose are a nuisance. Having a cold is nothing compared to leprosy. If there were a remedy for the common cold, I would go there.

The leper fell down before Jesus – he recognized the power and the authority in the person of Jesus

“If You are willing, You can make me clean.” The leper believed in what Jesus could do, and appealed to his generosity.

“And moved with compassion” Jesus was motivated, moved, with compassion – the sense of feeling another’s pain and struggle that motivates a desire to help. I am picturing the compassion of Jesus, not only toward this leper, but toward all people, even toward me, with this cold. I desire to grow in my own capacity to be moved with compassion (and always to avoid compassion fatigue.)

“I am willing, be cleansed.” Jesus states His willingness to heal, and then speaks the healing. This is a clear picture of the ministry of the savior, face to face with suffering, filled with compassion, speaking the words “be cleansed”.


There is more to this story, and I can picture it but have come to the end of my time for journaling. It is now on to the office for a day of pastoral servant leadership and ministry. Guide me holy Lord today as I follow you, filled with compassion. 

1 comment:

  1. Not to minimize the lesson in your journal this morning, which I do appreciate. But on a personal note, want to send my thoughts of compassion for your having to tend with that cold. Love to my friends @WUMC

    ReplyDelete