Monday, March 3, 2014

Day 7 – Forty Days in the Word

Philippians 4:14-23, especially the verse for this day:

“My God will meet all your needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:19)

The apostle Paul has affirmed in verse 13 that he can do all things through Christ who strengthens him, and then he continues: “Nevertheless, you have done well to share with me in my affliction.” The participation of the Philippian believers in supporting the apostle was God’s way of supplying his needs. Paul observes that in supporting the work of Christ, the church and the individuals benefit through what is given. Paul describes this benefit in verse 17 “Not that I seek the gift itself, but I seek for the profit which increases to your account.”

I will apply the “Pronounce it” method of devotional Bible Study to verse 19:

My God – Paul personalizes his relationship with God. He does not say “the God of my fathers”, or “the higher power”, or the “god of the universe” but he claims his position in Christ and with Christ affirms his personal relationship to God.

Will – future tense helping verb

Meet – supply, match, provide

All – not just some, not most, but all

Your needs – not your wants, not your excesses, but your needs, what you truly require. I have discovered that people who find themselves in tight places realize that their needs are so different that what they thought they were when everything was plenteous and there was abundance.

According to – based upon, in direct relationship with

His glorious riches – the resources of God are available for God to use in meeting my needs. The Almighty owns the cattle on a thousand hills (Psalms 50:10). God is not limited by lack of resources.

In Christ Jesus – God is one, and the Son of God rules heaven and earth! The riches of God in Christ Jesus are abundant, tangible and real.

This verse reminds me that as I pursue the will of God, from the riches in Christ Jesus all of my needs will be provided. This gives me hope, guards me from worry, positions me with joy, and confirms that as I step forward in faith, God will provide what is needed.

Thank you most holy Lord for this promise, for this reality, for this insight from the life of your servant Paul. Thank you for your servant George Mueller who trusted you completely in his care for orphans in England. May it be borne out in the life of your servant Bruce Baxter today and everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment