Friday, March 21, 2014

Day 16 - Forty days in the Word

Day 16  Mark 9:33-35

This passage was the text for the sermon on Sunday at Bethany’s church in Baltimore. The pastor did a very good job developing a chart, which I recorded in my small notebook. I will read it specifically with the formula prescribed by Rick Warren for this week called Spacepets, of what to look for when studying a biblical text devotionally, 

I have used a simpler formula over the years which involved: sin to confess, command to obey, promise to claim, prayer to pray. Spacepets has so many more parts, and I will utilize it this week. 

Sin of grappling for greatness.
Promise – the last shall be first
Attitude – servant (last night Colin Powell prescribed an attitude of optimism is required for leaders.)
Command – receive the least of these in Jesus’ name
Example – Jesus took a child in his arms
Prayer – Lord make me an instrument of thy peace
Error to avoid – pushing to get to the top, stepping on people in the process
Truth – serving others is God’s way, it was Jesus’ way, and it is my way.
Something to praise – Thank you Lord for this passage, reminding me of the servant role, and for the sermon I experienced on Sunday in Baltimore.

What a long and fulfilling day was yesterday! When I got home at 10 pm from the Colin Powell lecture, I sat on the couch, talked on the phone to Audrey who is visiting friends in Lynchburg, Virginia. My day began with a 7 am breakfast at the Victory Mission's Cooks' Kettle, meeting with pastors from around the York Elementary School neighborhood. I met with people all day, involving 4 different restaurants! Last night after the PPR meeting I headed to MSU to hear Colin Powell, which was a very rewarding experience.  Today my task is to write my sermon for Sunday, and to work ahead as far as possible (along with two meetings). I might even start working on my Easter Sunday sermon which will kick off a series on miracles. 


No comments:

Post a Comment