Sunday, March 9, 2014

Day 11 – Forty Days in the Word

Even as we set our clocks forward, and essentially lose an hour overnight, I got to bed early and feel rested at this extremely early hour (5 am). Last Sunday at this time I was on the phone with Bob Cassidy trying to decide whether or not to cancel church, which we eventually did and it was a great decision. That somehow makes this Sunday a little odd. Jesus’ words to the disciples after he calmed the storm in yesterday’s devotion continue to echo in my mind and speak to my heart “why are you so timid?” I will boldly proclaim the gospel this morning and lead with conviction the body of Christ called Wesley United Methodist Church in Springfield, Missouri.

Day 11 – Forty Days in the Word

Mark 5:21-43

Jesus, on the way to heal a twelve year old girl is touched by a woman with a twelve year hemorrhage. He feels power go out of him, and the woman confessed that she touched him. He states that her faith has made her well. He takes Peter and the brothers James and John into where the girl has been declared dead, speaks life to her and she gets up. I read this chapter in March of 1994, as noted in my Bible. Twenty years of ministry have transpired, and my children who were 9 and 5 are now 29 and 25. The power of Jesus to heal and give life is timeless, and I will walk in His power today.

Romans 12:1-2 (My text for today)

“I appeal to you therefore, brothers and sisters, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your minds, so that you may discern what is the will of God – what is good and acceptable and perfect.”

Yield to God, do not give in to the world, but have your thinking renewed in order to know God’s will. Today, Lord, I yield to You, I resist the world, and my mind is shaped by your word and your spirit. Give me boldness today to minister in your name and according to your power.



2 comments:

  1. Hello Pastor Springfield Wesley. so good to know you through your profile on the blogger. I am also glad to stop by your blog " Pastor's Pen" and the post on it "Day11 Forty days in the Word". A very encouraging exhortation and challenge to yield to God and not the world.. Well let me take this opportunity to share about the opportunity your young people can avail of coming to Mumbai, India on a short / long term missions trip to work with us in the slums of Mumbai among poorest of poor. I am in the Pastoral ministry for last 34yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the broken hearted. we also encourage young people as well as adults from the developed countries to come to Mumbai on a short / long term missions trip to work with us. We would love to have your young people who have their interest in the missions come to Mumbai on a short / long term missions trip to work with us in the slums of Mumbai among poorest of poor. I am sure they will have life changing experience. My emai id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pastor Diwakar,
      Thank you for your comment on my blog, and your invitation for short and long term mission work with you in Mumbai. Let's keep in touch. My email is bbaxter@wesleymethodist.com

      Delete