Saturday, April 16, 2011

April 16, 2011

4-16-11 Saturday, 7:13 am Springfield, 38 degrees, cloudy.

Yesterday the Wesley Mission Blitz kicked off with preliminary work at several project sites. Audrey and I worked at Harmony House, wiping down overhead pipes, and then painting them white. She will return there this morning, I will visit several other sites today. My body tells me that it did stretching, bending and lifting that it is not accustomed to, and my soul is gratified for the outpouring of unselfish love through this faith community.

Joshua 13-14

Joshua is getting on in years, and God tells him that there is still land yet to be conquered and inhabited as the promised land. These two chapters contain details of tribes, clans and land. Reading this I was reminded of the current ways in which people live in the United States, some definitely in clans grouped in areas, some spread across the country, living more as individual and family units, migrating based on jobs and opportunities.

14:6-15 contains the account of Caleb, aged 85, leading a delegation from the tribe of Judah to speak with Joshua about their allotment. Caleb reminds Joshua of Moses’ promise “the land of Canaan on which you were just walking will be your grant of land…” Caleb strongly advocates for this by saying to Joshua “I am as strong now as I was when Moses sent me on that journey, and I can still travel and fight as well as I could then. So give me the hill country that the Lord promised me.” (verses 11-12) Three times in this section it is said about Caleb: “he wholeheartedly followed the Lord, the God of Israel.” This is a great goal for every believer – to wholeheartedly follow God, and to live fully and energetically to the end of life pursuing the promises of God.

May this day be a day of wholeheartedly following you, most Holy Lord. Guide my steps, and the work of the Wesley UMC as we serve across the Springfield region demonstrating your love with all our strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment