Saturday, April 23, 2011

April 23, 2011

4-23-11 Saturday, 7:34 am Springfield, 55 degrees, stormy.

Fierce storms throughout the area, including a tornado that struck Lambert Field in St. Louis, breaking out terminal windows. The sky here is gray with a touch of green illuminated by the occasion flash of lightening accompanied by a roll of thunder. We will go out for a family breakfast this morning, and spend the day getting ready for Easter. I will be working on my message, and prayerfully preparing for the celebration of the resurrection.

Matthew 28
Verses 1-10 are the text for my Easter sermon. The women come to the tomb, find terrified guards with an angel sitting on the rolled away stone. This angel of the Lord’s appearance was like lightening, and his garment as white as snow. The angel said to the women “do not be afraid, I know that your are looking for Jesus who has been crucified. He is not here, for He is risen, just as He said.

Powerful images from that moment in history when the dawn of resurrection power and grace was beginning! Each Easter we remember the glorious discovery of the empty tomb, and down through history millions have experienced newness of life through Jesus Christ. Last night after the 7 pm Good Friday service we had a special time with the confirmands, their parents and mentors in the sanctuary and at the altar, as they each had the opportunity to say Yes to God’s invitation for pardon, salvation, and Lordship.

Reading this scripture this morning reminds me of the reality of Christ, risen from the dead, reigning over nature, kingdoms, history, the universe. I desire during my brief earthly life to follow Him faithfully, to live fully in His grace, to love completely as He did, and to be oriented toward His eternal kingdom every day of this temperal life. I am your 55 year old servant. Use me according to your plan and purpose for today, and prepare me for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment