Thursday, April 28, 2011

April 28, 2011

4-28-11 Thursday, 5:45 am Springfield, 42 degrees, clear!

The rain has finally stopped, and the sun will shine today. The cloudy, misty, rainy weather that has persisted has felt like London, which is where Kate Middleton will wed prince William at Westminster Abbey tomorrow. His mother, Princess Diana was killed on Aug 31, 1997, and the eyes of the whole world are on this couple and their wedding.

Today I lead session 17 of the Peer Mentoring group. We will discuss the book Shaped by God’s Heart – The Passions and Practices of Missional Churches by Milfred Minatrea. I have some time this morning to review this book and prepare for the discussion. I benefit from teaching a book study to other pastors, as I have the opportunity to apply it to my work at Wesley.

Judges 8:18- 9:21

Gideon kills Zebah and Zalmunna, kings he has captured. The Israelites live in peace for the 40 remaining years of Gideon’s life. He has 70 sons, including Abimelech, who after Gideon’s death is favored by the people of Shechem, and he kills all but one of his half brothers. Jotham, the one surviving son of Gideon rebukes Abimelech and the citizens of Shechem with a story about a time the trees decided to choose a king. The olive tree refused to be their king, because he would have to quit producing the olive oil that blesses both God and people. The fig tree and the grape vine refused for the same reasons. Then all the trees finally turned to the thornbush which agreed to be king.

This scripture teaches how people often make poor choices when they choose their own leaders. It could also teach that often the best leaders are too focused on their own settings, and cannot see the larger good for which they could make sacrificial, servant leadership investments of their own lives. I am not sure how this scripture applies to my life. One application is that it affirms that the appointment system used by the United Methodist church to deploy pastors has merit over the call system, as when a local church calls its pastor, there are thornbushes that sometimes are placed in positions where people get burned.

Guide me today, most Holy Lord as I serve and lead your people. Guide us in the decision whether or not to host the UCO from Azusa Pacific at Wesley in two weeks. Be thou my vision, o Lord of my heart, naught be all else to me save that thou art. Thou my best thought, by day or by night, waking or sleeping thy presence my light

No comments:

Post a Comment