Monday, April 4, 2011

April 4, 2011

4-4-11 Monday, 8:09 am Springfield, 47 degrees, cloudy.

Yesterday was a good day in the life of this pastor. The morning worship services, which included communion, were meaningful, and the afternoon town hall meeting went well. Today I will be at the office most of the day, working on worship planning and various to-dos that have accumulated.

Isaiah 65

Verses 17, 18: “For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth; and the former things shall not be remembered or come to mind. But be glad and rejoice forever in what I create; for behold, I create Jerusalem for rejoicing, and her people for gladness.”

Verse 25: “The wolf and the lamb shall graze together, and the lion shall eat straw like the ox; and dust shall be the serpent’s food. They shall do no evil or harm in all my holy mountain”, says the Lord.

This chapter is a looking forward to the end of time, and paints a picture of the New Jerusalem where there will no longer be heard “the voice of weeping and the sound of crying”. Reading these verses reminds me of the eternal future God has in store for His people, and all who call on His name. During this brief earthly life we have the opportunity to build his kingdom, spreading his message of redemption. It is unfortunate that for many people, even religious people, the goal of this life is one of ease and pleasure. It is tempting for me to envision the rest of my life through the lens of comfort and then secure retirement. There is much sacrificial work still to be done, as God’s people follow His will and not their own. Guide me today Lord as I serve you with joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment