Friday, April 22, 2011

April 22, 2011

4-22-11 Good Friday, 6:23 am cloudy, threat of heavy rain for the next 5 days.

Fifty-five years ago today I was born! My mother was 30 and my father was 38, living in Los Angeles. Five years ago I awoke in Africa on this day, and no one travelling with me knew it was my birthday. Yesterday the office staff surprised me at lunch with a celebration. Tomorrow morning we will have a family celebration. I look forward to using the senior menu and getting other senior discounts. At SunRise we had a group called FAFF – Fun After Fifty Five, of which I could join today!

Aging is a funny process. My dad turned 55 in Dec of 1972, during my junior year of high school. That summer he had purchased some acreage in Kentucky, planning someday to retire there (he never did). Within 5 years he took early retirement from his primary career as a chemical engineer, and worked at various jobs until he was 80. My mom turned 55 when I was in my first year of seminary. She had purchased an accounting and tax practice when she was 52, named it Grace Baxter and Associates, and would lead that firm for 25 more years.

Internally I am a composite of the 4 year old boy, the grade school kid, the teenager, the college student, the painting contractor, the CPA, the groom, the young pastor, the proud father, the church planter, the little league baseball coach, the grieving son (plus all the other ages of life in my memory). Externally I am a white-haired 55 year-old husband of 28 years, father of two delightful young adults, and a pastor with lots of experience. Thank you Lord for this day, for this season and for these reflections.

John 18:28 ff The events of “Good” Friday

The Jewish leaders led Jesus from Caiaphas into the Preaetorium, and it was early (about this time? 6:45 am?) They themselves did not enter in order that they might not be defiled (it was somehow an unclean place) so they could eat the Passover. Pilate asked them what accusation they brought. They did not specify, but said they could not impose the death penalty. When Pilate questioned Jesus, he stated “my kingdom is not of this world. If my kingdom were of this world, then my servants would be fighting, that I might not be delivered up to the Jews, but as it is, my kingdom is not of this realm.” Jesus concluded by saying “… I have come into the world, to bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth hears my voice.” Pilate said “what is truth?”

On this Friday morning, I am mindful of the fact that I serve a King whose realm is not of this world. Even as the weather is violent today, as it was when He was tortured and executed in this world which is His creation. The kingdoms and nations, rulers, leaders and financial institutions might seem to exist apart from God, but everything is subject to His truth. Guide me in your truth today, most Holy, living, loving, powerful redeemer.

No comments:

Post a Comment