Thursday, April 7, 2011

April 7, 2011

4-7-11 Thursday, 6:45 am Springfield, 54 degrees, birds singing.

I had a dream last night that is now fading fast but was aggravating. I was in a school setting, and taking a three-part essay exam. I had written the first two essays, and was about to write the third. I noticed that I could have used a blue book, but the teacher had not really offered them. As I went to write the third essay, I could not find the notebook in which I had written the first two. I searched all around my desk, behind my desk, etc. I was so frustrated, and the teacher encouraged me to just write the third essay and find the other two later. I was almost paralyzed because I had misplaced that notebook. Audrey was the teacher! When I awoke, I was still frustrated, and had to remind myself that this was only a dream. Hmmm, I wonder what it means.

Now that I have finished Isaiah, I need to set a new course for daily Bible reading. For now, I will resume the God Sightings, One Year Bible. Yesterday I was in Columbia, and read Proverbs 6, but did not blog or journal. Today I have a full schedule.

Deuteronomy 31

Moses tells the people that he is 120 years old and can no longer lead them. He also tells them that the Lord has shown him that he will not make it into the promised land, and that Joshua will lead them. He encourages the people and Joshua to be strong and courageous, trusting God’s promises as they cross into the promised land. Moses also is aware that the people will rebel against God, and worship the gods of the people of the land. He strongly warns them, and writes instructions to them, to be carried with the ark as a reminder.

I read this chapter in light of the last two days I spent in Columbia with pastors of very large churches, and with leaders of our conference, thinking together about leadership, change, and the direction of the United Methodist Church. We studied the book by Gil Rendle, about the mainline churches wandering in the wilderness for the last 40 years. One of the pastors compared our current situation to that of John Wesley in the eighteenth century as an Anglican priest. I said “if John Wesley could not renew the church of England …” Bishop Schnase said “Bruce, finish that sentence”. We all knew that the implication was not hopeful for the current United Methodist Church. However, there is a hopefulness about stirrings within the denomination, and its emphasis upon making disciples through vital local congregations.

I am so thankful to be the lead pastor of a very vital congregation that has a rich and fruitful history with a hopeful and promising future. Guide me today Lord as I write, plan, lead, serve and prepare for the promise land into which you are leading each of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment