Friday, August 10, 2012

August 10, 2012

My week has gone well, as this is my first blog in several days. It has been a busy week with a staff workshop, three funerals, a wedding tomorrow and the Willow Creek Leadership Summit. My body continues to show signs of some malady, and as today is my 8th day on antibiotics I am hopeful that whatever has attacked me is losing and about to put up the white flag and be done. Once I get up and out I feel fine for the day.

Yesterday we heard Condoleezza Rice, Jim Collins and Craig Groeschel among others. There was a great testimony by Carly Fiorina, the former CEO of Hewlett Packard sharing about her faith in Christ and the events of the last few years, including the death of her daughter. Each year I am amazed at the quality and the relevance of this leadership summit. This year my schedule is really squeezed, making it hard to attend the full two days.

Jeremiah 29

The prophet sends a letter from Jerusalem to the captives in Babylon telling them to build houses and plant gardens there and to pray for the welfare of the communities where they live in captivity. False prophets like Shemaiah attacked Jeremiah and his prophecy of a long captivity. In the turmoil and conflict of daily living, who should be believed? It turned out that Jeremiah was God’s messenger.

“For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.” (Verse 11) This verse applies to Bruce Baxter just as it did to the captives living in Babylon in 605 B.C. Believers down through the ages have relied on this promise during times of hardship, persecution, famine, war, and failure. I am not living under these types of difficult circumstances, and this verse of hope, this reminder of God’s future is a gift to me today.

Lord I thank you for the plans you have for me, for the future and the hope. I thank you for this day in which I am living, in the Ozarks, serving as pastor of a strong and healthy church. Guide me today as I journey forward in obedience and love, representing you within and beyond the church.

No comments:

Post a Comment