Friday, August 24, 2012

August 24, 2012

I awoke at 5:30 and got up, with good energy. The problematic coffee maker cooperated and made 10 cups without overflowing. I went outside and got the paper, taking a bag of trash out. I noted that I successfully reprogrammed our in-ground lawn sprinkling system to eliminate Fridays, now it will water only twice a week, and I probably should go to once a week, early Sunday morning. The paper says that the Springfield water reserves are down to 63.8 percent. On Saturday and Sunday it is predicted we will get about an inch of rain, thus I should override my program and not water on Sunday morning. Tropical storm Isaac is churning in the gulf, threatening to impact the Republican National Convention which opens in Tampa on Monday. If the storm tracks westwardly, we might get additional moisture later next week. I write the above paragraph as a sample of my morning thoughts and activities on this pretty regular Friday in August. Yesterday was a good day, with work at the office morning and afternoon (sermon preparation, planning, recording a computer message, etc) and then in the evening visiting the preschool open house and stepping into several classrooms, meeting a few parents before attending the Disciple Bible Study coffee and dessert rally. At home I made a phone call to a pastor who requested my call, and we chatted until almost 10 about issues at his church. At 4:30 I ran 4 miles averaging 10:12 a mile, which built upon the 5 mile run with Bill on Tuesday. Today is a blank slate. I have been up an hour. I look forward to more sermon writing, plus some development of messages and themes into the fall, along with some preparation for the Spring Training material that I will begin piloting with our staff next week. Proverbs 24 (corresponding with today’s date) For my devotional reading of scripture I sometimes simply turn to the chapter of Proverbs that corresponds with the day of the month, which is what I have done today. As I read this Proverb, I observe that in verse 2 the topic is wisdom applied to developing one’s household: “By wisdom a house is built, and by understanding it is established; and by knowledge the rooms are filled with all precious and pleasant riches.” I am thankful for the 30 years that Audrey and I have invested in establishing our home, and the wisdom and knowledge God has given us. Verse 27 contains an admonition to “prepare your work outside, and make it ready for yourself in the field; afterwards, then, build your house.” This reminds me that outside, where the work of one’s hands produces fruit, where one’s daily labor establishes a means of income is a priority, comes before developing ones comforts, conveniences and rest. Audrey and I have followed this suggested pattern, as she developing her teaching career, and I developed my accounting career and then my seminary preparation before we met, and thus we had “prepared our work outside” before we established our home. I am thankful for this piece of wisdom, and the application she and I have made. Verses 30-34 are a most interesting section. It is very fulfilling to read them on a morning that I have arisen at 5:30, and following a day like yesterday full of meaningful work. The theme of these 5 verses is the observation of the field and vineyard of a lazy man who lacks common sense. It is all grown over with weeds and the stone wall is broken down. The owner has not attended to details, and has not performed the hard and boring work of eliminating weeds and repairing walls. The conclusion is “A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest, then your poverty will come as a robber, and your want like an armed man.” Lord, lead me today to attend to the details in the field of pastoral work to which you have appointed me. Guard me from laziness and justifying excessive rest. Help me to prioritize the work I must do to be the most fruitful husband, father, pastor I can be. I am yours, I love your church, use me in advancing your kingdom and not my comfort today. Increase my wisdom as I live out the incarnational life of servant leadership here and now.

No comments:

Post a Comment