Saturday, August 11, 2012

August 11, 2012

God, this is a new day. I freshly commit myself to the role you have invited me to play, as you are building your church in this world. I am awestruck again today that you include me in this grand life-giving, world-transforming endeavor. So today I joyfully offer you:

My love; my heart; my talents; my energy; my creativity; my faithfulness; my resources; and my gratitude

I commit all of myself to the role you have assigned me in the building of your church so that it may thrive in this world. And I will “bring it” today. I will bring my best. You deserve it. Your church deserves it. It is the Hope of the World. (Prayer from the Willow Creek Global Leadership Summit)

I prayed that prayer at the close of the Summit yesterday, as 12 of us from Wesley attended the video broadcast hosted by Ridgecrest at Remmingtons. I intend to pray this pray every morning for 30 days. It articulates my intention, and it resembles the prayer Wesley developed, which has been used for 250 years:
I am no longer my own, but thine.
Put me to what thou wilt, rank me with whom thou wilt.
Put me to doing, put me to suffering.
Let me be employed for thee or laid aside for thee,
exalted for thee or brought low for thee.
Let me be full, let me be empty.
Let me have all things, let me have nothing.
I freely and heartily yield all things to thy pleasure and disposal.
And now, O glorious and blessed God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit,
thou art mine, and I am thine.
So be it.
And the covenant which I have made on earth,
let it be ratified in heaven.
Amen.

I John 1

“God is light, and in Him there is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth;; but if we walk in the light as He Himself is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin.” (Verses 5-7)

My goal is to always walk in the light. This means living in the truth, not hiding anything; living in love, with no guile or hate; this means living with joy and the presence of God even in the midst of hard circumstances. This would be a great topic to continue writing about, what it means to walk in the light, and identifying practices that would be walking in darkness.

I continue to feel better each day as my body gains victory over whatever it is fighting. The twice-a-day antibiotic is giving it an advantage. This is day nine of ten for the medicine, and I am just about back to full strength. Given the lack of sickness in my life, I have a new appreciation for those who struggle with chronic illnesses.

Guide me Holy Lord today as I walk in the light and lead others along this upward way.

No comments:

Post a Comment