Saturday, August 4, 2012

August 4, 2012

This is the morning I have been waiting for! I woke up without a fever, and from the moment I opened my eyes, I knew that I was better. Each night this week I have gone to bed hoping to wake up like this. I have lived long enough to know that “joy comes in the morning” and that all things will pass. But this persistent fever lasted too long! Yesterday I started a sulfa drug for tick borne illnesses - which likely was the cause of my suffering.

Hebrews 13

“Let the love of the brethren continue.” (Verse 1) As I was opening my Bible to explore this chapter suggested by today’s Upper Room devotional, I was thinking about the love and support provided by a church family. It is amazing how this “coincidence” works sometimes. I was picturing how it seems that those who love the scriptures often are those who love “the brethren” and also “strangers” the most. As pastor one of my joys is to cultivate among the people of the church a love (with sacrificial actions) of people within and also those not yet part of the body of Christ.

“Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by this some have entertained angels without knowing it.” (Verse 2) It is so important to balance verses 1 and 2. Neglecting either can make for an unbalanced and unhealthy faith community. “Remember the prisoners, as though in prison with them…” (3) I am corresponding with three prisoners, one who attempted to take his own life last week. These are not in jail because of their faith, but rather because of their crimes. I will write 2 letters today as expression of remembering the prisoners.

“Let marriage be held in honor among all… for fornicators and adulterers God will judge. Let your character be free from the love of money, being content with what you have…” (4, 5) These basic instructions are important to be taught regularly and remembered often. Especially in the current culture of the United States, where sex outside of marriage is glorified, and advertising preys upon the human tendency to covet and want what we do not have.

“Now the God of peace, who brought up from the dead the great Shepherd of the sheep through the blood of the eternal covenant, even Jesus our Lord, equip you in every good thing to do His will, working in us that which is pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be the glory forever and ever. Amen.” (20, 21) These words of benediction are also good words for me to launch into a new day, trusting in Jesus to equip Bruce Baxter in every good thing to do His will.

Thank you Lord for my returning health. Thank you for licking the fever that persisted all week. Guide me today as I continue to recover, and as I love people, within and beyond the church.

1 comment: