Monday, August 13, 2012

August 13, 2012

The weather looks great for the coming week, and I have finished up my sulfa-based cycline antibiotic, so I can be out in the sun. Audrey and I will paint the family room today and tomorrow and receive the delivery of a new set of couches on Thursday. Last week was a jam-packed schedule, following a week of fever. This week my schedule is busy, but with a little more breathing room than last week.

Matthew 6 (Upper Room today)

This chapter, the middle of 3 recording Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount, contains much practical wisdom about practicing a life of faith. This includes how to fast, how to give alms, and how to pray. Verse 33 culminates His teaching not to worry about food and clothing, which is such a common worry today, but instead to focus on this: “seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.” I will focus on this today, as I walk through this Monday. I will seek first God’s kingdom, and His righteousness. This means adjusting my sights from the here and now to the bigger picture of forever, and focusing not on myself, but on God’s righteousness in all things.

This is not a new focus, nor a shift in what I seek. I have been pursuing God’s kingdom since I was 18. I have been seeking His righteousness for 38 years. And it is so important for me today to sharpen this focus and to renew my commitment to His righteousness. I am living one day at a time, and keeping the main thing the main thing is critical. On my march to eternity I want every day to contribute to healthy progress.

One of the speakers last week told the story of the two Antarctic explorers, Scott and Amundsen in their race to be the first to the South Pole. His point was that Scott was like the rabbit, and Amundsen was very measured in what he did. Scott and all his party died on the return trip. Amundsen completed his journey just as planned. This can be applied on a corporate level, and also on a personal level. Of course it cannot be universalized because of the difference in personality types, opportunities, etc. And, I can gain much from this illustration. I have had an interest in those explorers of the Antarctica, especially Ernest Shackleton. While visiting the British museum in 1981 I laid my eyes on the notebook that contained Scott’s last entry, acknowledging that he was going to die. I desire for this day, August 13 to be a day forward in seeking the kingdom of heaven and God’s righteousness in my life.

Guide me today, most holy Lord in all that I encounter. Draw me nearer to You as I seek Your kingdom and Your righteousness with all my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment