Friday, August 31, 2012

August 31, 2012

It has been dry so long that this rain seems unusual, wonderful, blessed, and fulfilling. In 1988 I moved to a farming area and lived in Wellsville. I learned the difference between hay and straw. I also learned that in the Bible when Jesus said (Mat 5:45) that “The Father sends rains on the righteous and the unrighteous,” he meant that the rain was a blessing, not that he ruined the day of both the just and the unjust. Growing up in suburban environments, weathermen always spoke of rain as ruining outdoor plans. The two delightful years I spent in Wellsville helped me to greatly appreciate rain and its value in replenishing the earth. Proverbs 3 (Upper Room devotional is especially good today – Aging Gracefully) This chapter starts with the admonition “do not forget my teaching, but let your heart keep my commandments;” It is always wise to remember God’s teaching and commandments, and it is always easy to forget and turn away to the enticement of the world. The chapter continues: For length of days and years of life, and peace they will add to you.” (Verse 2) Elmer Dickson wrote today’s devotional in the Upper Room, and he tells of growing old and “doing for others what God, in love, has done for us. We age well, by God’s grace, as we allow the redeeming love of Christ to shape us and flow through us to others.” I agree totally! This is a great reminder to me this morning. Yesterday I worked hard on my sermon for Sunday, and also handled correspondence along with interactions throughout the day at the office. In the evening at home I changed the oil in both the LHS and the Kawasaki. I ended the evening with a 25 minute walk in the moonlight, enjoying the fresh air and raising my total steps on my pedometer to 5800 (still 1200 short of the daily ideal.) Today I will be at the office, preparing and working on Sunday’s message, and also the two upcoming series “Balancing Justice and Kindness – Walking Humbly with God during an election year” and “Thirsting for More – Prayer, Presence, Gifts, Service and Witness.” I will also reach out today to a couple of people who are living on the edge – of poverty, crime and recovery. God, this is a new day. I freshly commit myself to the role you have invited me to play, as you are building your church in this world. I am awestruck again today that you include me in this grand life-giving, world-transforming endeavor. So today I joyfully offer you: My love; my heart; my talents; my energy; my creativity; my faithfulness; my resources; and my gratitude I commit all of myself to the role you have assigned me in the building of your church so that it may thrive in this world. And I will “bring it” today. I will bring my best. You deserve it. Your church deserves it. It is the Hope of the World. (Prayer from the Willow Creek Global Leadership Summit)

No comments:

Post a Comment