Thursday, August 16, 2012

August 16, 2012

Our family room is empty, awaiting the new sofas which will be delivered today. I am sitting on the wicker sofa on the deck, enjoying the quiet of the morning as the light of the sun gradually falls upon the houses on Fox Hollow Dr. I ran 2 miles last night, with great effort and a slow pace. It had been 20 days since I last ran, the Friday we left St. Pete Beach. The fever knocked me out for a week, and though I have worked out at the gym three times during the 20 days, my body is still recovering. The human body is such an interesting instrument.

Psalm 139

David writes about in this prayer about how God has searched him and intimately knows him – not only his physical sitting and rising, but also his thoughts. He acknowledges that God formed his inward parts, weaving him together in his mother’s womb. His prayer has become the prayer of many, including me when he says in verse 14 “I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made… Your eyes have seen my unformed substance; and in Your book they were all written, the days that were ordained for me, when as yet there was not one of them.” This Psalm give great honor to the divine creation of the human body and also the personal knowledge God has of each of His sons and daughters.

The Psalm takes an interesting turn in verse 19 as David asks God to slay the wicked, stating that he hates those who hate God, taking His name in vain. I will ponder what this means for me in 2012 living in the Ozarks, seeking to win people who are currently apart from God to accepting His love and yielding to His Spirit.

David closes this Psalm with two verses of prayer (23-24) which I will make my own prayer this morning:

Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me and know my anxious thoughts; and see if there by any hurtful way in me, and lead me in the everlasting way. Yes most Holy Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment