Thursday, August 30, 2012

August 30, 2012

Work for the night is coming. This line from a Gospel song is on my mind, as I sit here at this early hour in my home study, preparing for this day of ministry. I am preaching about work on Sunday, and I am thinking about the work I do – writing, preparing, visiting, planning, discerning, counseling, coaching, etc. I am thinking about the work I will do – until I die. I will coach and encourage pastors and churches. I will make friends of people at the margin of society. I will write devotionaly and autobiographically. I have not posted a blog in 6 days because of the computer problems with my laptop. It is not completely fixed, but I have learned how to work around its stubborn reluctance to connect with the internet. Matthew 11 (from Upper Room selection for today) In this chapter Jesus addresses the questions from John’s disciples, and he began to reproach the cities in which most of his miracles were done, because they did not repent (verses 20). In verse 25 the gospel records one of Jesus’ prayers: “I praise Thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that Thou didst hide these things from the wise and intelligent and didst reveal them to babes…” The last three verses are profound, teachable, comforting and inviting: “Come to me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart; and you shall find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my load is light.” (28-30) These verses also have direct application to my message for Sunday on work. Another thought related to my sermon on Sunday is the theme from the movie October Sky, where one boy escapes the trap of coal mining with his interest in rockets. I also want to look up the quote my dad had in the basement bathroom about work – it went something like do the work you enjoy – write, paint, garden even if you do not make much money – etc. Guide me today in my work, most Holy Lord. I freely take your yoke, learn from you, and I have found rest for my soul. Thank you for your yoke which is easy and your burden which is light. I want to do the best job possible as pastor of Wesley, as chair of the conference BOM, as husband, father, friend, disciple, follower, servant leader today. I have pulled from my shelf Robert Coleman’s The Master Plan of Discipleship, 1987, and read his introduction. This is basically a study of the book of Acts, looking to see how the early church followed the great commission given by Jesus to “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the father, son and holy spirit and teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” I agree with Coleman that making disciples should be at the heart of what we do, and it is stated as such in our mission statement of Wesley: "to develop more fruitful disciples of Jesus Christ who worship, care and serve.” I might use some of Coleman’s ideas as I lead the Igniting Leaders session on Sept 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment