Tuesday, August 21, 2012

August 21, 2012

“Oh, the joys of those who do not follow the advice of the wicked, or stand around with sinners, or join in with mockers. But they delight in the law of the Lord, meditating on it day and night.” (Psalm 1, verses 1-2) This is one of my favorite Psalms. It speaks to issues in the parable of the prodigal son. This Psalm is precious to me because I understand the need for moisture (Verses 3-4 contrast those who delight in the law of God with trees planted along a riverbank with the wicked who “are like worthless chaff, scattered by the wind.”) I also delight in the law of the Lord, the word of God, and I meditate on it day and night.

I will be getting a new Bible delivered from Amazon this week – The New Inductive Study Bible. I bought one for Audrey last week which she is using in teaching the College Sunday school class. I love God’s word, and teaching/preaching from it is one of the greatest joys of my life. I am already looking forward to the preparation and presentation of this coming week’s sermon on the son who stayed home and was resentful of his father’s unconditional love.

I am awake and energized this morning for the work of pastoring. I will write my pastor’s pen, plan agendas for tomorrow’s meetings, develop the 9:30 worship task force, etc. At noon I will run 5 miles with Bill, make visits in the afternoon, and share dinner with a couple. Yesterday I made 6 take offs and landings in the Cherokee, rode the Kawasaki 38 miles, moved some furniture at home, mowed the lawn and finished the day reading and working on tasks at my desk.

I am reading Healthy Disclosure by Ruth and McClintock, a required read for the boundaries seminar for pastors which I will attend on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend. It is interesting and informative, and important topics for all pastors to review and remember. On pages 240-241 there is a great chart of who should know what kind of information. I am considering having some of the Wesley Leaders read this book, in addition to the three pastors who are already doing so. I am interested to see if there are practical suggestions about curbing gossip, which used to be more rampant at Wesley than it is now.

For the two page paper required to be written before attending this workshop, I think for the first topic I will us the comparison of “private” and “secret”. I have long lifted up the difference between appropriate confidential info and inappropriate secrets. Chapter 2 gives several examples.

Guide me today, most Holy, loving Lord. I will follow your advice, and I look forward to the yield of fruit that You will bring to my life and ministry today, this week, and during the upcoming seasons of my life.

So today I joyfully offer you:

My love; my heart; my talents; my energy; my creativity; my faithfulness; my resources; and my gratitude

I commit all of myself to the role you have assigned me in the building of your church so that it may thrive in this world. So be it Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment