Thursday, September 13, 2012

September 13, 2012

It is good to be home. The previous three days and nights I spent on retreat with 10 other pastors. We golfed, and ate, played tennis, fished, watched baseball and talked, and talked, and talked! Twenty-one years ago we started meeting on Thursdays at 1 pm for conversations and reflection. Now the pastoral counselor is retired and the group no longer meets weekly. Half the group are over 60, 3 are retired with 4 more within 5 years of retiring. I was one of the youngest original members, with younger pastors added as the years went by. I am a better pastor, husband and father because of this group. We will continue to meet annually, driving from Floriday, Texas, Illinois and all parts of Missouri, and perhaps also hold a mid-winter gathering. I have not blogged in the days I was on retreat. I journalled once, using a blue tooth keyboard and my Droid Razor Max. Last night I co-led the New Membership class with Pastor Mi Hyeon. Audrey and I then attended our 8:30 pm worship service of college students called "the Green Room" downtown. My schedule today is ordinary, with 3 meetings spread morning, afternoon, and evening. I have today and tomorrow to write my sermon, as Saturday I will ride the motorcycle (or drive the car if the weather is inclement) to Colombia for a gathering of Conference leaders and committees with the Bishop. Then I will return to Springfield through Licking and visit a man at the prison there. Today I will order a Bible for a prisoner in Arizona, after CBD has had it on backorder since July. I will also call the young man who we met on the youth Choir Tour in West Virginia, who was scheduled to be released to his grandmother in Amarillo in August. The 59 verses of John chapter 8 are made up mostly of the teachings of Jesus. His dialog involves the scribes and Pharisees who doubt that he is the son of God, and repeatedly attempt to trip him up. They bring a woman caught in adultery, reminding him that the law of Moses commanded that she be stoned. Jesus responded that the person without sin should throw the first stone. They left, beginning with the oldest. He told the woman to go and sin no more. In verse 12 he said: “I am the light of the world; he who follows Me shall not walk in the darkness, but shall have the light of life.” I have experienced the light of life, and since opening my heart to Jesus Christ I have been walking in the light of God. It is a wonderful life, to be free of condemnation and guilt, and to know the creator of the universe in a personal way. Guide me Holy Lord as I serve You today. Increase my faith as I obey your word and seek to live in your light. Guide my words, my decisions, my initiatives, my demeanor and my responses that you may be glorified, and this day may be lived for eternity. In Jesus’ name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment